about

Goals: being in the world, but not of it - living our lives in loving witness to Christ through daily acts of service and offering it up - and attempting sainthood, our universal calling! :D

Saturday, October 15, 2011

October

October is upon us – the month of brisk morning temperatures, beautiful New England fall, which in bright regalia is a last explosive firework heralding winter’s quick death to come.  I am not sure what sort of weather will greet me, or whether I’ll adjust right away to icy winter’s woes.  However, I guess it’s still far away, though to a new homeowner, one continually thinks about just how many more great days of sun one will have in order to properly winterize.  A laundry list of items to complete before October’s end awaits Bennie and me.  The undisclosed but inevitable joys of homeowning!

As obvious, I’ve been away from the blog for over two months without good reasons.  Sorry!  We’re all busy, this I know, but I like to think we’re all just different bees in His hive, assigned a specific job that differs in time and efficiency but still serves the larger hive’s multifaceted purposes:  the production of His Sweet Honey (in the form of evangelization of His Love through faith in action) while pollinating  His creation (akin to “spreading His joy”)!  As such, one can become quite absorbed in one’s duties to the hive and forget to consider the importance of communication.  Not good for the hive at all.  Well, one can dream, even in analogies, eh?!

Let the recounting of the past begin.  I’ll keep it light-hearted and fun for all those enjoying time away from the workplace (okay, totally mean myself here). 

After interviewing in the Church here for a 4th grade position, a rather interesting but slightly elusive position opened up, about which a friend from Church told me.  Much prayer in a short amount of time (about 5 days) occurred, and the Holy Spirit led me to go in for an interview for this “Research Assistant” position at Yale, through the departments of Pediatrics and Neurology.  At first I was a little Job-like in earnestly discussing my hesitancies with God, but then wizened up and took what He offered.  Although it’s not official yet – apparently it takes over a month to formally get a job and be “hired on” at Yale – I have quite an intriguing and humbling job and will follow up with more details in the near future. 

Last Friday was Bennie’s first day off work in 2 whole weeks!  (Okay, actually 13 days.  Trust me, we were counting!)  Because I am not actually testing in the schools yet, as should be happening rather soon, my boss let me have the day off, so we went off in search of outdoor bouldering in CT.  We researched a state park reserve about 45 minutes away, loaded up Thomas Toyota, and arrived.  After a couple miles of a nice hike, we arrived at some tempting boulders with terribly risky approaches, and weighed in that our lives were more important than any amount of climbing.  (Independent thinking and cost-analysis courtesy of good higher education!) 

Here are a couple photos from the park, enhanced by a newly discovered smartphone app called “Instagram” – it’s what I term the phone-equivalent to the computer’s Picasa.  (There are quite a few effects, though not as many as Picasa offers.)  By the way, smartphone is now in the online dictionary system, just so you’re aware for future reference.  [And yes, those are wayward and rotting cars, just in case you’re wondering.  Random, isn’t it?!  Not sure if these were strategically placed for full effect of setting this park apart from others or actually tragic remains left to remind and warn one about safety in the woods.]




Last Saturday and Sunday (a week ago) were working days for Bennie, who’s had to work the last FOUR weekends.  So, I decided to finally accomplish some projects I’ve been wanting to do but haven’t found time to try.  I’ve recently been rather curious about store-bought versus homemade.  Not to a crazy extreme where I’m touting a label and refusing to shave.  (I do that last part in the winter, as there’s really no need with all those tights and layers.)  Theorizing can only get one so far!  On Saturday, I spent an hour and a half shucking peanuts while enjoying Biber’s Rosary Sonatas, most of which are online with beautiful art pictures to accompany the moving music (thanks to youtube).  After the shucking came the grinding – and in about 5 to 7 minutes, my first batch of homemade peanut butter was complete!  (The second batch beats the first in deliciousness due to an added fistful of chocolate chips blended into it at the last minute!  This one was surprisingly Bennie’s favorite!)  It was much easier than I thought – and frankly, much tastier than Jiffy or Peter Pan or Goober!  I encourage this homemade pb!  Delicious!
 All the ingredients (table left from previous owners - functional, but quite loud)
 Let the peanut shucking begin!
 Almost have an entire bowl filled!  *This is the longest part!*
Getting into grinding gear
 Now I'm starting to see some oils (and thus some hope!)
 About 6 minutes into the grinding...
 And we're done!
 First batch on the left, second batch a-waitin' in the bowl
Another Instragram picture - chocolate PB on the left, regular PB on the right!  YUM!  (Isn't that new counter MAUVE-olous?! Haha!)

The debate for what’s cheapest – homemade or store-bought – could go on and on.  At Sam’s Club, the land of the hungry families, buying in bulk really is quite affordable.  I purchased a 5-lb bag of dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts for $5.18, approximately $1.03/lb.  I used maybe 1.5-2 lbs for 2 batches of peanuts, making it at most $2.06 for the total project (minus honey, which we already had).  Keep in mind that one of those was a ‘gourmet’ sort of peanut butter…a little richer than normal…a delightful chocolate spy in a nutshell!  Healthier, for sure – and definitely cheap!

On the Lord’s Day, I boiled up some Macintosh apples (on sale).  I wish I could say that I went apple-picking at an orchard, but didn’t – maybe if the sweet husband gets just one weekend-day off, we’ll go!  Somehow I’m not certain how I made it to be over half a century old without knowing how to make applesauce.  Needless to say, I remedied that, replete with pictures so I have no excuses or forgetting.  [*Aside:  plus, it gave me an excuse to explore Photovisi, a free site for creating collages!  Finally put some of my digital scrapbooking freebies to great use!] 



I’ll be attempting to keep writing a bit more regularly than once each month or two.  Happy Feast of St. Theresa of Avila!  It is fitting to end with her wise words, as I pray them here and now: 

God bless you!  In His Sonshine,   ~Elizabeth Anne & Bennie  :D

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the delightful and educational post. Love and miss you both

    ReplyDelete